April 28, 2010

Returning to Contacts.. ?

The thought of returning to contact lenses has always been on my mind but the best thing that I have done thus far in improving my stringy discharge/dry eye condition is to cease the use of contact lenses. My overall eye health has definitely improved by simply allowing them to breathe naturally. (With the exception of the eye products that I've used.)

However, there have been occasions where the use of spectacles has been very bothersome (e.g., playing sports, working under vehicle, etc.). For these reasons, I have decided that once I hit the 6 month [1 year] mark of wearing glasses, I might then return to the occasional contact lense use.

I recall in October my optometrist stated that if I decided to start using contacts again that I should try 'daily disposable contacts.' I have been reading many articles and websites regarding the types of contacts available for individuals suffering from dry eye and started to do some comparisons. (Useful links provided at bottom of post).

Before I would wear weekly disposables:
Acuvue Oasys                              ($33.99/ box) or ($67.89/ 2 boxes : 3 month supply)

Candidates for daily disposables:
1-Day Acuvue 30 pack                  ($29.99/ box) or ($59.98/ 2 boxes : 1 month supply)
1-Day Acuvue Moist 30 pack          ($29.99/ box) or ($59.98/ 2 boxes : 1 month supply)
1-Day Acuvue Moist 90 pack        ($69.99/ box) or ($139.98/ 2 boxes : 3 month supply)
Biomedics 1-Day 90 pack              ($44.99/ box) or ($89.98/ 2 boxes : 3 month supply)
ClearSight 1 Day 30 pack              ($19.99/ box) or ($39.98/ 2 boxes : 1 month supply)
ClearSight 1 Day 90 pack              ($44.99/ box) or ($89.98/ 2 boxes : 3 month supply)
Dailies AquaComfort Plus 30p        ($27.99/ box) or ($55.98/ 2 boxes : 1 month supply)
Dailies AquaComfort Plus 90p       ($59.99/ box) or ($119.98/ 2 boxes: 3 month supply)
Focus DAILIES 30 pack                 ($22.49/ box) or ($44.98/ 2 boxes : 1 month supply)
Focus DAILIES 90 pack                 ($44.99/ box) or ($89.98/ 2 boxes : 3 month supply)
Proclear 1-Day 90 pack               ($64.99/ box) or ($129.98/ 2 boxes : 3 month supply)
SofLens Daily Dis. 90p                  ($44.99/ box) or ($89.98/ 2 boxes : 3 month supply)

*prices from 1800contacts.com as of April 28, 2010.
--
As you can see, if one were to wear daily disposables as much as they did weekly disposables, they would be spending a bit more money. Something to consider when choosing which contact lenses are right for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this blog! I'm going through the EXACT same thing right now and I hate it. My eyes are sooooo itchy all the time! And worse when I wear my contacts (Night&Day Optix)

I'm about to switch to daily disposables too. I've read that the proclear dailies are good for dry eyes.

_string said...

You are very welcome and thanks for the tip about the Proclear Dailies. I will keep that in mind when choosing which contacts I'd prefer to wear.

As for the itchy eyes, I have been taking Allegra as of late. They seem to help, however these past days my eyes have been very red from allergies and I choose not to use any type of eye drops to remove the redness.

Thanks for reading.

Post a Comment